TAKE OUR PET POSTCARD PLEDGE!
• Picture of pooch or another beloved pet
• Image editing software or a smart phone app that is able to convert pictures to a black and white photocopy
• 4” x 6" piece of cardstock for the backing
• 4” x 6" piece of stiff interfacing such as Peltex or Timtex
• Fabric scraps for your postcard composition
• Fusible web
• Light box or a window with strong outdoor lighting
• Water-soluble transfer pen or pencil (or a black felt-tip marker if you want the traced lines of your pet to be visible)
• Iron and ironing pad
• Sewing machine with free-motion capabilities
1. Find or take a digital image of your pet(s) that will make a good composition for your fabric postcard. I chose this picture I took on my iPhone of Clarence and Nellie, my two adopted dogs I got from Friends For Life, and thought it would make a good vertical composition (without the muddy paw prints).
2. Convert your photo to a black and white photocopy using image editing software such as Photoshop® or one of the many apps available on smart phones.
3. Apply fusible webbing to the backs of the fabric scraps that you would like to use for your postcard.
4. Print the photocopy of your picture and tape it to a light box or window.
5. Tape your fabric with the fusible webbing on top of the photocopy and trace your pet image onto your fabric. Be sure to include all of the defining body parts, and not just the animal’s silhouette.
6. Cut out your pet image.
7. Decide if you want to do anything to the background fabric before you fuse your pet image on top, and fuse the background fabric to the interfacing. Note: I chose to mimic the wooden slats on my porch by simply thread sketching lines, then added a polka-dot doormat in the back.
8. Place the cut-out pet images on top and fuse.
9. Free-motion stitch over the traced lines of the pet.
10. Place the cardstock on the back of the postcard composition and satin-stitch along all four sides.
11. On the cardstock, sign your name and title your postcard.
Want to create pet postcards to donate to our Festival Pet Project? Mail as many fabric postcards as you would like (in a padded envelope for protection) to:
Festival Pet Project
Attn: Pokey Bolton
Houston, TX 77063
Please mail your postcards by no later than Tuesday, October 22, 2013. Please note: this is a receive-by date.
© 2013. A publication of Quintessential Quilt Media. No portion may be reproduced without the expressed written consent of Quilts, Inc.